Thursday, May 8, 2008

Letter to No One

I hold no expectations over the readers of this letter. In fact, I expect no one to read it at all. Over the course of my lifetime, I've discovered that regardless of how indulged a person may be over the happenings in this world, each individual that composes this earth is relentlessly self-centered. You may consider me pessimistic at this point and put this tattered shred of paper down as if it were insignificant and go about the rest of your life. Or you could read on and be witness to my rainy-day discovery. Whether you do either is your own choice. Honestly, it wouldn't matter to me.
Anyway, back to the matter at hand: we shall take a small child, for instance. Older generations giggle bashfully as they fawn over the angered children that rip their toys out of an unsuspecting peer's hands. It is in human nature to take what we've preconceived as naturally ours.
If this isn't enough evidence for you, dearest reader, let's travel to the larger picture. Every day objects are labeled with lighting-sharp words such as "ours" "mine" "your's"...and why? Notions are derrived from our ancestors about what we own and what we need.
It gets so severe that rather than wrenching a plastic tractor out of the hands of another child, a human being will slash another's throat, burn their crops, explode their lands, and watch on the sidelines as future generations of their opposition suffer from the side effects. This is the result of the abomination of our race. This is the actions of war. Human beings are not necessarily a blood-thirsty, flesh-seeking species...we just protect what's ours.
So, as you read my finishing words of epiphany, you may be enlightend or you may be depressed. Either way it wouldn't matter to me. Since no ear is around to hear my last words of thought, and the rain drowns out any last shard of hapiness my mind once held, I could give a damn whether or not you appreciated my written word. All I know is that I've left my mark on this world. Through my only means, I've shared my last bits of knowledge.
Now I sit holding a cold thought to resound this frozen nightfall. What was I protecting to sacrifice so much in this war?

No comments: