Monday, January 18, 2010

Balloon

Those words
Rolled around in her mouth and spat into her hand, slathered with poison and painted with provocation...
I know them all too well.
They stab like a tiny silver pin puncturing the skin of a rubber balloon,
It starts slow, the metallic point driving and delving deeper into the sphere
The globe bends and stretches, trying to accommodate to the fiendish play
And then
Just as quickly as she came, the pin becomes a perpetrator, an assassin
The balloon implodes
It withers
It wrinkles
It writhes in pain
Wondering what could have happened
Wondering what I could have done differently to prevent this from happening.
Those words
Wafted and whispered, warmly cloaking frigid neck hairs standing on end
I know them all too well.
I know that it’s better to let the phone ring
I know it's better to push you from my mind
But when I see how easily I was pushed from yours
A part of me wants to become blind, so I wouldn't have to live one more moment
Knowing
How insignificant I was to you
Congratulations on your marriage.
I’m happy too
Thanks for asking.

No comments: