Thursday, April 3, 2008

Seasons

I remember the fresh scent of snowfall sitting softly on my porch
glistening white powder enticing us to
destroy it
and trudge through it
and kick it
and fall in it
I remember the grey, cloudy skies that tempted us to stay home from school
(even if we did have a test that day)
I remember the icicles that were transformed into lollipops
dripping beneath the wet sweat of our palms
melting with the heat from our breaths
-change scene-
I remember the delicious smell of spring tickling our naive noses
the smell of leaves
the smell of bloom
the smell of
fresh
beginnings
i remember the rainfall splashing on the windowsill
and cancelling dodgeball games and bar-b-ques because of it
-change scene-
I remember the empowering feeling of crunching leaves beneath my shoes
and the smell of burning pumpkins.
the cool, cool breeze blowing on the crippled front lawns that could tell miles and miles of tales
-change scene-
I remember summer break
and swimming
and laughing
and never wanting anything to change
-end scene-
i remember when he got laid off of his job
and looking
and looking
and looking
and looking for a new occupation
i remember his night shifts,
and staying up past midnight only to spend some quality time with him,
eatin grilled cheese and warm milk
i remember his face as he told us he was moving to Virginia
i remember his tears as he told us he was going to war
i remember how tightly he held us
his family
as we sat in the terminal
sobbing
before a soldier released his daughter and walked the platform to war.
-final scene-
i remember his face as he saw us again
it had been too long
too long
two entire years passed
two long years of seasons
things weren't the same
they never will be.

3 comments:

PujaU said...

I remember when my dad told us that he was quitting his job, when he said he wanted to do something else. I remember the businesses we owned, working at the counter in the summer to earn my very first cell phone. I remember filling boxes with packaging peanuts and sorting mail. I remember how my dad's new endeavor became my first job. I remember the satisfaction in his eyes as he saw his idea turn into something tangible. I remember being proud of my dad, not then, but years later when I realized the courage it takes to change your life's goals halfway through - the courage it takes to pursue your dream when everyone else thinks its too late.

bill89 said...

I felt like I was brought back home when I read your post. I remember the snow and gray skies of winter and how it seemed like it was both a wonderland of fun but yet a cold and harsh hell. I remember the awesomeness of spring coming and the thought that summer was just around the corner. I also remember how my step dad was laid off his job after the terrorist attacks in 2001 and how hard it has been on him trying to find a new job.

Anonymous said...

Your beginning makes me remember snow, and seasons in general. I remember begging to move somewhere, anywhere, with seasons when I was a kid.