Thursday, April 3, 2008

Wish I could

I don't remember the feeling of getting excited over a new toy.
Or how it is to be a burning ball of energy.
I can hardly recall not having to worry about gas prices
or the war, or the elections, or homework, or arguments...
It's hard to remember being carefree and worry less
When the only thing that matters is a scraped knee
I don't recall times without conflicting with my mother
or rolling my eyes at my dad's absent words.
I just can't remember when I didn't think I knew everything
Because, I do. And that's that.
I cannot recall when playing with a bug was 'fun' and 'entertaining'
and every individual was a opportunity for a new friend
but sometimes
as I'm yelling at my mom about whats right and wrong
and rolling my eyes at my dad about politics
when i see a beetle crawling across the floor and am completely petrified
when i hear about rapists and murderers that kidnap children
I wish I could.

3 comments:

PujaU said...

I really like this - I don't remember those days when life seemed so utterly uncomplicated and simple either. I wish I could get back to those days when it didn't seem like my mind was running a thousand miles per hour and that I wasn't constantly trying to keep up or catch up to things that I already should have done.

bill89 said...

I miss childhood too! Everything was so much better then. It was SO easy to be entertained, you didn't care about getting dirty, you didn't have to worry about any big problems except who's turn it was next to go on the swing, and the future seemed like this amazing place where anything is possible. I wish I could go back to elementary school where things were just so simple and easy. Maybe we should all revert back to childhood and play a massive game of tag on the mall ha ha.

Anonymous said...

i don't remember being a kid either. Its funny, because sometimes I think that my entire family sees and reacts to me as a child, but I don't ever remember being the person they must see when they look at me. and then sometimes I think it would be so easy just to stay home and watch cartoons all day and just not think about anything else. but i suppose i'm hoping that my adult life will be more exciting then my childhood, so i can't give up on adulthood just yet.